Childbirth classes are super helpful in getting you and your birth partner ready to have a baby. When I had my first baby, we diligently signed up for the hospital’s childbirth class at an inconvenient time and drove through the snow to get there! It can be so much easier for you! Online childbirth classes offer a convenient and affordable experience, and you’ll learn everything you need to know to be ready for your vaginal labor and delivery or your C-section birth!
Read on for the two best online classes, both taught by actual labor & delivery nurses with tons of experience and know-how.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why Are Childbirth Classes Necessary?
Childbirth classes (aka birthing classes or prenatal classes) teach you what to expect during labor and delivery or a C-section birth.
Birthing classes will cover a wide variety of topics, from options you can work into your birth plan, how to cope with labor, when in labor you should head to the hospital or birth center, and the basics of newborn care as well as breastfeeding. If you know in advance you’re having a C section, there is a class to specifically cover that too.
According to Hilary, a childbirth educator and Labor & Delivery Nurse, “benefits of prenatal education classes have included increased confidence for labor and birth among women who attended prenatal classes, higher likelihood of breastfeeding, improved communication between childbearing women and their maternity care providers, decreased need for analgesic medication in labor, and increased satisfaction with birth.”
Here’s what you should expect to learn in a childbirth class:
- How to relax and breathe throughout labor
- Labor positions that can help your baby line up with your pelvis, speed your labor and relieve pain
- Pain relief options, including how and when to request them
- The stages of typical labor and delivery
- Possible delivery complications and how they might be handled
- Other medical interventions that may be used, such as a C-section or induction
If you already know you’re having a C-section, here is a class specifically for you: Birth It UP! The C Section Series by Mommy Labor Nurse
- Help to put together your birth plan
- Information about alternative approaches to pain relief, including breathing and relaxation techniques
- Basics to care for your newborn baby, including postpartum care and breastfeeding
Why Choose an Online Prenatal Class?
There are many reasons to consider an online prenatal class: flexible schedule, the comfort of your couch, ability to have a snack during it (anyone else crave Whoppers while pregnant??).
What appeals to me most is flexibility. I really wanted my husband to attend each and every prenatal class with me and often our schedules do not line up. With an online class, we could have snuggled up on the couch at the end of the day and watched as much of the course as time would allow that night.
Online Birthing Class Options
Here are two awesome options for your online birth class:
- The Online Prenatal Class for Couples
- Birth It Up! by Mommy Labor Nurse
#1 The Online Prenatal Class for Couples
Taught by a Labor & Delivery Nurse and mom of three, The Online Prenatal Class for Couples first launched in 2014 and has been edited and adjusted over time. Lots of couples have gone through this course. The class is taught entirely on demand. It can be done anywhere or from the comfort of your home.
Hilary has been a labor and delivery nurse for more than 20 years. Get her 20 years of experience in just 3 hours on your couch.
- Curb useless trips to the hospital (you’ll know what is normal)
- Save money with one of the best-priced birthing classes offered online
- No traffic, no hard chairs, no babysitter. Super convenient
- No more wasting time wandering the internet to find the “labor truth” — it’s all in one spot!
- Have a plan for when baby comes home that you create together
- Know how to make the best choices along with your labor team.
- Squash worry in its tracks. You’ll have a plan, together.
- Find an ally you can trust with experience both at the bedside and teaching
- No lost sleep over labor pains. You’ll know your options, and when it’s best to get them.
- Transform your partner into your support system to help take care of you.
- Be the calm, decisive patient you want to be without fear of making wrong choices.
Hilary offers several options for classes so no matter your budget you can find something that works for you.
Right now you can get a FREE mini prenatal class which includes:
- Labor Movement Cards — To help you do one of the MOST important things in labor!
- Free lesson on 3rd Trimester Testing & When to Worry — From one of the most experienced labor nurses on the internet!
- Birth Plan Help is Here! — A printable sheet & tips to make it the most helpful for you & your team!
- The Postpartum Tips No One Else Will Tell You — but you’ll desperately need!
- Includes free video lessons, printables, tips & more! — your ultimate free guide to birth prep!
The Online Prenatal Class For Couples is Split into Three Topics:
- Before Labor: 3rd trimester testing, signs of labor, when to go to the hospital (an easy formula that will get you there on time but not too early!)
- Labor: -admission process, choices about induction, exactly what happens during delivery, pain management options, common complications, and C-section info just in case
- After Delivery: what to expect during your hospital stay. breastfeeding tips, how your body will feel, warning signs for mom and baby, your emotions and feelings (they can be overwhelming!)
The format is easy to understand and goes in chronological order, and her approach is friendly, informative, and engaging. Most of all, she’s direct so you don’t run the risk of losing your partner five minutes in.
Hilary is passionate about helping dads be more involved in the birth process so grab your husband or partner and get watching!
#2 Birth It Up by Mommy Labor Nurse
Liesel is a Labor and Delivery Nurse and mom of two. She started Mommy Labor Nurse as a way to educate more moms in the online space about pregnancy, birth, and postpartum.
Birth It Up! by Mommy Labor Nurse offers three different classes to prepare for having your baby:
(Get 10% off whatever class you choose when you use Coupon Code EMILY10**)
I absolutely LOVE that there’s a class dedicated to planned C-Sections. I found out at 36 weeks that I would need to have a C-Section because my daughter was breech. A class like this would have been very helpful to help me know what to expect and ease my anxiety.
I hope you find an online prenatal class that works for you. Whether it’s The Online Prenatal Course for Couples or Birth it Up! by Mommy Labor Nurse, I know that taking an online birthing class will have you feeling more prepared and more confident for your big day!