A baby sleep gown is a great addition to a baby’s nighttime wardrobe, especially during those first few months when you want something super quick and easy for frequent diaper changes.
Babies often need to be changed in the middle of the night, and zipping or buttoning footie pajamas can get old when you’re running on four hours of sleep. Since gowns are open at the bottom, you can just slip the fabric up over your baby’s legs and bottom, change the diaper, then slip the fabric back down. Easy peasy.
My son was born in late spring and ended up wearing gowns most of the time during those warmer months. This meant easy access…even during the day. It just made things easier.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Best Baby Sleep Gowns
When it comes to baby sleep gowns, there are a few key things to consider, such as the material, size, and ease of use. Here are some of the best baby sleep gowns that are highly recommended by parents and caregivers and our favorites of ours! We prefer them for newborns and infants even over the best baby pajamas.
I love these “gowns” that snap at the bottom. Easy to change their diapers, and some gowns come with hand covers, which protect the baby from a possible scratch or from sucking on their hands. The quality is definitely the best, and the prices are also excellent.
What we like:
- Stretchy fabric
- Made from bamboo (machine washable)
- Mitten cuffs
- Comes in three sizes
What we don’t like:
- Not many color options
Made from 100% organic cotton, these sleep gowns are buttery soft, breathable, and gentle on a baby’s sensitive skin. They have an elastic bottom that makes it easy for diaper changes and a lap-shoulder design for easy dressing. We love that Burt’s Bees is an eco conscious brand. And these have mitten cuffs on the sleeves.
Baby Noah Knotted Gowns feature a knotted bottom that can easily be untied and adjusted for quick and easy diaper changes, while the long, loose-fitting design allows for plenty of movement and comfort.
One of the key benefits of the Baby Noah Knotted Gowns is their versatility. They can be worn as a sleep gown for nighttime snoozes or as a cozy outfit during the day.
The Baby Noah Knotted Gowns are made from high quality, organic cotton that is free from harmful chemicals and dyes, making them a safe and gentle option for your little one’s delicate skin. Plus, they come in a range of adorable prints and colors, so you can choose the perfect style for your baby.
This sleep gown is made from 100% organic cotton and features a zipper that makes it easy to dress and undress your baby. It also has built-in footies to keep your baby’s feet warm and a tab cover to protect their chin from the zipper. They also come with fold over mittens and are available in many cute prints.
What Are Baby Sleep Gowns For?
Baby sleep gowns are a type of baby clothing specifically designed for sleep time and can be used with or take the place of baby pajamas. They are typically made from super soft and comfortable materials, such as cotton or muslin, and are designed to keep a baby warm and cozy throughout the night.
Sleep gowns are different from other types of baby pajamas in that they have an open bottom instead of snaps or buttons, which allows for easy diaper changes without having to fully undress the baby. Many sleep gowns also feature a stretchy bottom that can be pulled up to cover the baby’s feet, which helps to keep them warm and snug.
Sleep gowns are a popular choice for newborns and young infants because they are easy to put on and take off, which is especially important during late-night diaper changes. They also provide a comfortable and breathable sleeping option for babies who may not be ready for blankets or other types of bedding.
Are Sleep Gowns Safe for Newborns?
Sleep gowns can be safe for newborns if used correctly and if the gown meets certain safety guidelines. It’s important to choose a sleep gown that is the correct size for your baby to ensure a good fit and to reduce the risk of the gown bunching up around the baby’s face.
Here are some guidelines to keep in mind when using sleep gowns for newborns:
- Choose sleep gowns that are made from breathable materials, such as cotton or muslin.
- Make sure the sleep gown fits snugly around your baby’s torso, but is not too tight.
- Check that the sleep gown has a stretchy bottom that can be pulled up to cover your baby’s feet, which will help to keep them warm and prevent the gown from riding up.
- Avoid sleep gowns with decorative bows, buttons, or other embellishments that could pose a choking hazard.
- Always place your baby on their back to sleep and avoid using blankets or other loose bedding that could pose a suffocation risk.
Baby Boy Sleep Gowns
Baby Girl Sleeper Gowns
Are Baby Sleep Gowns Necessary?
Baby sleep gowns are not strictly necessary, but many parents find them to be a convenient and comfortable option for their newborns. Here are some reasons why parents might choose to use baby sleep gowns:
- Easy diaper changes: Sleep gowns have an open bottom that allows for easy diaper changes without having to fully undress the baby. This can be especially helpful during late-night diaper changes when you want to minimize disruption to your baby’s sleep.
- Comfortable and cozy: Sleep gowns are typically made from soft and breathable materials, such as cotton or muslin, which can help keep your baby comfortable and cozy throughout the night.
- Safe sleep practices: Sleep gowns can be a safe option for newborns when used correctly and in accordance with safe sleep guidelines. They provide a snug and secure fit that helps prevent the gown from riding up and posing a suffocation risk.
- Convenience: Sleep gowns are easy to put on and take off, which can be helpful during the early weeks when you may be changing your baby’s clothes frequently.
While baby sleep gowns are not strictly necessary, many parents find them to be a convenient and comfortable option for their newborns. Ultimately, the decision to use a sleep gown is a personal one and will depend on your individual needs and preferences as well as those of your baby.
How to Use Baby Sleeper Gowns
Using a baby sleeper gown is easy and straightforward. Here are some steps to follow:
- Choose the right size: Make sure you choose a sleeper gown that fits your baby’s size and weight. Sleeper gowns are typically sized by weight, so check the label to find the appropriate size for your baby.
- Dress your baby: To dress your baby in a sleeper gown, first lay them down on a safe, flat surface, such as a changing table or crib. Slip the gown over their head, making sure the sleeves are properly aligned with their arms. Then, pull the bottom of the gown down and over their feet.
- Secure the gown: Once the gown is in place, make sure to secure it properly. Most sleeper gowns have an elastic bottom that can be pulled up to cover your baby’s feet, which helps to keep them warm and prevents the gown from riding up.
- Diaper changes: If you need to change your baby’s diaper, simply lift the gown up and change the diaper as usual. The open bottom of the sleeper gown makes it easy to change your baby’s diaper without having to fully undress them.
- Follow safe sleep practices: Always place your baby on their back to sleep and make sure the sleeper gown fits snugly but is not too tight. Avoid using loose blankets or other bedding that could pose a suffocation risk.
What Do Babies Wear Under a Sleep Gown?
What babies wear under sleep gowns depends on the temperature of the room and the material of the sleep gown. Here are some guidelines to help you decide what to dress your baby in under a sleep gown:
- Temperature: Consider the temperature of the room when deciding what to dress your baby in. If the room is on the cooler side, you may want to dress your baby in a onesie or footie pajamas underneath the sleep gown to provide extra warmth. If the room is warm, your baby may be comfortable wearing just a diaper or a lightweight onesie under the sleep gown.
- Material: Consider the material of the sleep gown when deciding what to dress your baby in underneath. If the sleep gown is made from a thicker material, such as fleece or velour, your baby may not need to wear as much underneath. If the sleep gown is made from a thinner material, such as cotton or muslin, your baby may need an extra layer or two underneath to stay warm.
- Comfort: Consider your baby’s comfort when deciding what to dress them in under a sleep gown. Some babies may prefer to wear more or fewer layers, depending on their preferences.
In general, it’s a good idea to dress your baby in layers, so you can easily add or remove clothing as needed to keep them comfortable. A common option is to dress your baby in a onesie or footie pajamas underneath a sleep gown to provide extra warmth and comfort. You can also dress your baby in a baby sleep sack over the gown for extra warmth.
In the warmer summer months, your baby would wear just a sleep gown and no baby pajamas.
Ultimately, what your baby wears under a sleep gown will depend on their individual needs and the temperature of the room.
Related Post: How to Dress Your Baby for Sleep
Best Baby Sleep Gowns Are More Convenient Than Baby Pajamas
Sleep gowns are not only cozy and convenient for your newborn, but they also make those middle-of-the-night diaper changes a breeze….much more so than typical baby pajamas. Plus, when used correctly, they can be a safe option for your little one while keeping baby cozy.
So when you’re choosing a sleep gown, be sure to pick the right size and follow safe sleep practices to give your baby the best snooze possible. And don’t forget to think about how to dress baby underneath the sleep gown – just consider the temperature of the room and your baby’s comfort. Happy sleeping, little one!